Tuesday 5 November 2013

Jaffna Update

Last Sunday evening when I left Jaffna by a 'Luxury' bus for Colombo, I could not help thinking the last time I did so.  It was in Aug 1980, and my journey from Jaffna to College Station, Texas started with a bus ride.  It was one of the two luxury buses, the one operated by KG Industries, departed from Wellington Theater.   I still remember, many of my friends came to see me off.  I was embarking on a long journey then, but I just did not realize so.  This time, the theater do not exist, no one to see me off, and there were 20 to 30 buses ready to leave Jaffna for Colombo.  Roads are better, driving is still wild, and the music at times was soothing to the ear.  At one stretch it was a collection of remix songs originally sung by PBS.  It was lovely listening to it at mid-night travelling through archaeological sites in Anuradhapura

In Jaffna, temples are full of people, all dressed in new clothes celebrating Deepawali and then Gowri Kaapu in traditional manner.  The second one did not exist during my younger days - at least i did not know about it.  It must have 'migrated' from Tamilnadu recently.  Lot's of money spent at temples rehabilitating or expanding or whatever.

I went to Naga Vihara for the first time in my life.  I have cycled past it many times though.  I was told that it was razed to the floor, but was rebuilt in 1997.  Now an accommodation center is being built.  I am beginning to wonder why I never visited the Vihara when I was young, although I had been to Churches in Jaffna many times?  Something not right in the way my relationship was with God then, I guess.

Living and travelling in Jaffna is easy if one has money.  There's a limited choice of three star hotels, service is adequate, and it costs about 35 USD per night.  A few very good vegetarian restaurants - just in front of Naga Vihara on Stanley road.  Jaffna styled rice and curry will cost 170 LKR, or 1.25 USD.  There are plenty of options for local transport, cabs and three wheelers are around and they come and pick you up when called.  All have meters, but none works.  So, agree on a fare before you get in.  The minimum fare is about 200 LKR for three wheelers, and the cabs are on kilo-meterage.  50 LKR or (40 US Cents) per km.  All is well.

The town is alive and well.  All roads originating from the city center - KKS Rd, Kasthuriar Road, Palaly Road, have new buildings everywhere.  Many of them are four storey buildings.  Mostly occupied, except for the near completion ones.  Sign-posting of all buildings are modern, electricity is available, so at dusk, the city does look very modern.  A few old buildings still remain, possibly the owners do not want to invest.  The road from the Clock-tower to Hospital road is where new police station is.  It remains in 1980s.  I think there are only two theaters still remain, Rajah and Manohara, Rajah is split into one and two.  It is celebrating its 51st anniversary.  I am sure Manohara is older than Rajah.  The road between Muniyappar temple and Hospital road is full of hawkers selling anything and everything.  They do leave a large solid waste behind.  The Municipality need to take this seriously.  Pizza is delivered in style.  I even saw a few stop signs and a set of new traffic lights.  Yes, Jaffna is getting busy, so, some regulation is necessary.

Uniformed police are everywhere, usually checking traffic, just the way you see them in Colombo.  When the sun goes down, its time for the Army.  They stay within their camps during the day times, I think.

So, how do people in Jaffna feel these days.  My sources are a friend during my childhood days, and the Taxi driver I hired for half a day.  Both were censoring themselves when they speak.  I could easily recognize that.  Overall people enjoy the calm that prevails.  The concept of neighborhood is not there.  No one seems to know his neighbor, just like the way we now live in the west.  Is there something wrong with it?  I do not know.  The compound I lived as a kid had four houses.  We lived in one of them and my aunts lived in other three.  Our neighbors did not move in or out.  Now one of the four is sold, others have tenants from Velanai, Kilinochi and somewhere else.  A few of my neighbors remain.

The young are into alcohol.  Liquor shops are everywhere and 'Western Styled' bars in residential areas - not far from temples.  Boys and girls mix more than what my friend would like, exchanging phone numbers, and then get into troubles.  Girls are in scooters, boys are in motor-bikes.  Crime is showing its ugly face.  The culprits display knives and swords in the absence of guns!  Just like the Tamil movies of today - alcohol, mobile phones, scooters, motor-bikes, crime, boys and girls.

Unemployment remains an issue, although there seems to be a lot of money in circulation.  Remittances from overseas must be a big contributor.  I am told that graduates are working in retail shops, or, engaged in private tuition.  It still remains a BIG business.

What is now required is some investment to create employment.  This is one area the diaspora need to work with the provincial and central governments.  Jaffna was never the center for manufacturing.  It did have the cement factory, which is now in ruins.  I wonder what is stopping it re-opened.  Indian cement companies - which are the suppliers of cement now - could be asked to invest with their capital and technology, create employment for locals, and profiteer.  Marine industries can also developed, but, now there's constant conflict with Tamilnadu fishermen.  Demand for cottage industries is very low, but there's scope.

I like to see this aspect - employment - improved when I go there next.  Overall, it was good feeling to be there again, albeit only for 36 hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...