Saturday 22 June 2013

Where is Everybody?

After living in New Delhi for the past 18 months, wherever I go, I feel I am in a place less crowded.  Delhi is crowded, and initially it was bothering me.  There are times people literally bumped into me as I walked on the streets, and did not even acknowledge being brushed.  With time, I got used to it, and I probably do the same now.

I boarded Air France flight from Paris to Montpellier a few days ago, and a tall man welcomed me – and just one man.  He had a tag on his shirt which said ‘Securite’ in French, and I assumed that he must be an Air Marshal.  I did wonder why would an Air Marshall advertise himself, but did not follow that route of thinking.  He then, closed the door, made announcements on the PABX.  The plane took off.  Lo and behold, he started to push the refreshment cart, offering passengers drinks and snacks.  Then he went down the aisle again, collecting rubbish, made announcements, sat on his seat, the plane landed, he then opened the door to let us out.  One man is doubling for security and hosting of 200 passengers or so. 

I arrived at Novotel where I was to stay.  It turned out that the bar was also the reception and the bar tender was doubling for receptionist.  Went for breakfast in the morning, there was no one around, plenty of pastries and croissants, packed food – you name it, there it was.  Made myself a coffee, collected whatever I wanted to eat, ate, returned the used plates and put the rubbish in bin and walked out.  Noone was there!

I am not sure if this is the way productivity is increased or this is because there’s a shortage of people in these countries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...