Sunday 9 June 2013

Is it Technology or Attitude?

Everyone loves German Cars, and everyone who had been to Germany knows that everything works there, on time and as planned.  How come, I often wondered?

I almost lost 50 Euros yesterday at a ticket vending machine at Bonn railway station.  I needed a ticket to Frankfurt, went through the menu, ordered the ticket and inserted a 50 Euro bill, which got stuck in the feeder.  I just could not walk away – its 50 Euros.  I could not see anyone from Railways hanging around, and was not sure that I should walk and find one, leaving 50 Euros on the feeder.  I could not retrieve it, but what if the next guy could before I return, and how will I convince whoever that it was my money ?!

I saw a policeman walking among the crowd.  He was well built, his head was above the crowd, and he walked like a gentle giant.  I waved at him, and he came to the machine and raised his eye-brows, asking what I wanted.  I explained what happened.

He asked, ‘Are you in a hurry?’.  I said no.  My train is about 50 minutes from then.  He said, 'Just wait here, and I will bring someone to help you'.  In five minutes he came with a railway officer.  This officer was about half the height as the Policeman, must have had some Chinese genes in him.  He looked more of well-fed Chinese person than a German.  I thanked the policemen, he had a firm handshake.  He then left.

The Railway officer took his smart phone, took a photo to record the vending machine ID, and asked me to go with him.  I said that my money is stuck.  It was only then he understood what the problem was.  He said, just wait, ran in typical Chinese short steps, back to his office, and returned with a forceps in no time, grabbed the note and pulled it out gently.  I got my money back.

Then he went through the menu again, and got me the ticket I needed, I thanked, he bowed and left.

Train came about six minutes late and arrived at Frankfurt three minutes late.  In a two and half hour journey, the train driver apologized for the delay at least four times.  It had been raining a lot, the reasons for the delay. 

I reflected on the whole episode.  What would have happened if my money was stuck in a vending machine in another country?  I will be busy filling too many claim forms, and would have left with a faint hope that one day I will get my money back.  The chances of a policeman helping me will be 50:50 at best.  The railway officer helped me, as if his money was stuck, and the train driver kept on apologizing for 3 to 6 minutes delay for reasons beyond her control? 

The whole episode was too civilized for me, and I concluded it’s their attitude, not their technology, which makes everything works in Germany.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see that technology and train too get stuck and delay in Europe Subcontinent. Yes if your money stuck over here i am pretty sure you have to just forget it..

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...