Saturday 6 April 2013

Incredible Indians

I had always been a fan of India, and I still remain so.  Their promoting slogan to tourists, Incredible India, is very appropriate.  The commercials show incredible landscapes, temples, dancers, musicians, wild life, lights and colors.  Its just incredible.

There are other incredible things too.  One day I was at  a bus stop and counted different types of commuters,  - there were all sorts of two wheelers, rickshaws, three wheelers, vans and buses of various sizes and shapes, and of course cars of various ages and costs.  Oh, I should have mentioned the dogs and the cows.  Too many to count, its just incredible.

I am also a critic of Indians.   Its  easy, they leave a lot to be desired.  I have previously expressed my disgust over the level of hygiene in India.  Not sure why it does not bother even the most educated.

This time my ire is on the educated Indians holding responsible positions, they are just super confident, arrogant, and have no respect to any one else.  Often, they are in haste, ill informed or vexatious.

Examples?

Recently I had a nose congestion, its not difficult to get nose congestion if one breathes Delhi air.  The ENT surgeon of a prominent Delhi hospital, put a probe through my nostrils, looked in, and two minutes decided that I needed a surgery.  I was hoping that he would recommend some drops, to de-congest.  I politely asked if I could have a nose drop, he then prescribed one, it did the magic.  Later, I asked a pharmacist  in Pretoria, who suggested another nose drop which is better for daily use.

There's a leading research center in India, with whom I like to collaborate.  Found a researcher to work with, then her boss interferes, I stayed out and let them resolve; then I thought of collaborating with one more person at the same center, but the first one is not happy.  I had to back out.

Recently I had to interview and appoint a person for a position, a Kenyan, and Indian and a Burkinabe competed, the Kenyan won (it was close call between the Kenyan and the Indian), now the vexatious Indian is after blood.

A state govt is providing subsidy to a technology, in the free market the technology costs 150000 INR, the state Govt estimate is 470000 INR, then it subsidizes 86% or 410000 INR, and the farmer pays 60K.  The alternative technology will cost the farmer 60K (so, he has a Toyota instead of a Nissan), the required subsidy and the cost to the tax payer should be 90K, instead it is 410K.  Tax payer is losing, but who is gaining?  The bureaucrats and the politicians?  Are they ill informed or is this all intentional?

In most instances bureaucrats largely look at an issue or a request and think why it should not be done, instead how things can be done.  A purposeless one.

The doctor was in a haste to make money, the researchers' egos block their mission in life, unsuccessful candidate is vexatious, policy makers are ill informed, and the bureaucracy is largely a purpose less one.

These educated Indians are incredible, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...