Monday 1 April 2013

A Hyena (was in disguise as a Coroner)


I am not a wild life expert, but whatever I have heard of hyenas is not complimentary. They are known to be scavenging animals, live off the dead left by hunting animals.  Occasionally they as a pack hunt by isolating their prey, then attack the prey, till the prey meets its slow death.  It so happened, that I witnessed a pack of hyena hunting down a dear cub, and I almost felt that the hyenas were enjoying their hunt, the poor cub had no chance to escape.  It happened when I was on a safari in Northern Zambia, I did not like what I saw, but, in a way I witnessed a rare sight.  My summation was that, hyenas feed on defenseless preys, and they reminded me of a coroner at Kalubowila hospital in the outskirts of Colombo, Sri Lanka.

In August 1996, my mother had a sudden death.  She was walking around, fed my newly married youngest sister of 27, then felt sick, walked into the toilet to vomit, which turned out to be blood.  My mother had a history of ulcers.  We did not know how severe it was.  My sister and brother in law took her to the hospital, but on the way she died.  One, if not the saddest moment in my life.  It so happened that I was at Colombo Hilton that night, but by the time I arrived at the hospital, I could only see my mother’s body lying on a stretcher in the basement.  The hospital refused to ‘admit’, because she was already DEAD.

The next morning the body was transferred to Kalubovila Hospital mortuary.  We were at the mercy of this hyena, which was in disguise as a coroner.  We required clearance from him, so that we could execute her last rites.  We as a family waited and waited for hours.  Interference of a family friend, who happened to be a lawyer, did not help either.  The Coroner refused to budge.  He wanted us to proof no one killed my mother!  Bizarre isn’t it?  If we the family had suspected that my mother was killed, we would have been the first to complain and find out. 

We were not the only ones, there were many grieving families waiting for his nod.

We waited the whole day, and around 4 pm, he said that he will allow her to be buried, not cremated.  He was of the view if that murder was the case the body could be exhumed for further investigation, if necessary.  We as Hindus believe in cremation of the body, the physical matter held in the body – carbon, minerals and water – are returned to earth. 

We did not know what to say.  Our family friend continued his discussions with him and finally around 6 pm, the coroner agreed for cremation.  It was time for him to go home, and he was clearing the backlog.  He has done the same thing to all.  I saw him going home; his face brimmed with a smug of a victor.  He has almost prevailed.

I am still not sure if he was after money  - in that case we would have given him what it takes.  He has preyed in defenseless grieving people, and drew an enormous satisfaction for himself.  Just like the way the hyenas do.

Even after 20 years of my mother’s death he disgusts me.  I never disliked anyone, the way I dislike him.  I do not wish that he goes to hell, only because I am not sure if there is a hell.  I hope he is still alive - the brain is active to feel physical pain, and he suffers as much as those who he victimized. I am sure hundreds who suffered because if him, will agree with me.

He is (or was) a hyena,  he preyed on the defenseless.  I wish he reads what I have written about him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...