Saturday 9 February 2013

Work, Travel and Retirement

I am not sure what my life is all about.  I am in a different country every week, often in a different continent.  My passport was not with me till the 18th Jan,but since then, I had been to Italy and Ethiopia, and within the next six weeks, I will go to Jordan, Sri Lanka, India, then to Bangladesh, South Africa, Italy, back to India and Nepal.  Then one week in Delhi, two weeks in Sri Lanka, and back to India.  Its all about my work, a real jet setting life style.

Of all these places I will go to, I am really looking forward to my travel to South Africa and Jordan.  I had neve been to the countries, and I dowant to visit them.  In particular, I want to float in the dead sea, and peek at Israel.  Although I am not a big fan of Israel, I do admire them or their tenacity.  Despite all odds, they have money and power on their side, and after all they only fight an unorganised, self centered, self serving opposition.  I am not sure what will excite me in South Africa, but, I must visit a Museum, a township and a irrigation scheme.

Does all this travel means my job is that important, and makes a big difference to others.  I am not so sure.  It is all about what I WANT to achieve in my job.  I WANT things in a certain way, my way.  That means I better travel.

One of my friends once asked, what makes you think that you can CHANGE the way things are.  He has seen me failing at least twice in my career, trying to change but fail.  Yet, I feel that I would rather try and fail, than not try. 

In both instances in my career, although I paid a price, my career did not suffer.  Al Hamdolilla.  Is it because that what I want to change were the right things to do, so, the GODS were with me and showed new and better paths.  If so, then how come these GODs did not help me change what I was attempting to change?  Pretty bizarre, isn't it.

I will and want to do the best I can in my jobs, as long as I make good money and I enjoy it.  If that means a lot of travel, I will do so.  When I do not make good money or do not enjoy what I do, is when I retire.  I hope I do not retire for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...