Sunday 26 February 2012

Someone Missed Me in Delhi

I was away for eight days on an official travel, and got back this weekend.  Before I left, I gave my clothes for washing to a family which runs a laundry on the street.  They have a shed, a mobile phone number, I call them, someone will come and collect clothes and return when ready.

This family seems very young, the mother may be in her fifties, then there are a half dozen of girls agees between 15 and 25, two young men, possibly in their 20's, two little boys, the first one is 13, and the other is younger.  If there anymore, I have not seen them.

I could hardly communicate with them, a few words in Hindi, at times incorrectly used, and they know a few words in English.  Once I owed them six ruppess, the boy did not know how to say six in English, and to put him out of misery, I asked him is it 20 rs in Hindi.  He nodded, and I paid.  This is only 40 US cents, so not worth worrying about, but a good story on 'Lost in Translation'.

Back to the main story, the family was looking for me for two weeks, and today the teenage girl saw me on the street.  She started yelling at me in Hindi, calling me uncle, and wanted to know where I went.  Well, someone in Delhi missed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...