Tuesday 3 November 2015

Witnessing Deaths

As I grow older and older, I seem to know a lot of dead people.  Two of my sisters have died; my parents have died; three of my uncles have died; many of my teachers at high school have died.  The movie directors who inspired me, the music directors who hypnotized me, the playback singers who eased my heart, the actors who made me cry and laugh, the sportsmen who enthralled me, and the politicians who gave me hope and despair  – well, some of them are dead too. The scary fact is that some of my classmates and batch-mates are also DEAD. They would have been plus or minus five years of my age.

Yes, I am aware that death is something very certain, but when the news falls on my ears, it arouses memories and grief – the degree depends on how close we were, whenever we shared our lives.

The news of death reaches me at least once a month these days.   But witnessing death is different to hearing the news of death.  It’s instructive, I think.  I will share my observations of two men, whom I knew from my very early days, both are now dead.  I remember both of them as tall men, capable of very clearly articulating what they wanted to say, and commanded attention of others when present.

The first one, just like any other men, cared a lot about his family, enjoyed a cigarette and an occasional drink.  As his children got married and left home, he spent time publishing his views on issues, especially about children and religion.  When his health failed, he was bed-ridden for about six to nine months, and then he died.  He was 74 at death.

The second one, again just like any other men, cared a lot about his family, did not smoke or drink.  He always wanted to help anyone knocked on his doors, and he did more of that, when his children got married and left home.  When his health failed, he was bed-ridden for about six to nine months, and then he died.  He was 84 at death.

The second one enjoyed his grand-kids and society about a decade longer than the first one.  That is the reward for taking care of your health when young.  But, the pain and suffering before death had been the same for both men.  Modern day health facilities ensure that every possible attempt is made to save one’s life, even if the body has become vegetative.

So, what have I learnt by witnessing these deaths?  Am I advising you that you should take care of your health, and enjoy your grand kids longer ?  No, because you know that already.

What I have learnt and want to share with you is, prepare yourself to be in pain and agony for a year before your death.  It’s just like the way you waited outside the principal’s class room waiting to be caned.  It will not alleviate the pain, but, the thought, that you already knew it was coming, will help you face it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...