Friday 27 September 2013

Sardars of Delhi

If I am correct, male adult members of the Sikh community are commonly known as Sardars, although the term Sardar means a person of authority.  They are in all walks of life in Delhi, and my experience with them is very positive.  My favorite Sardar is Kushwant Singh, I enjoyed his books, and there's no one who has made fun of Sardars and made a lot of money than him.  I did not think that his books are revolutionary, but he is a good story teller.  Through his writings I could imagine what he will be like, and I liked the way he could be.  Funny, smart and occasionally obnoxious.


Here's my experience with two Sardars whom I met almost accidentally.

Delhi undergoes power-cut frequently, and once I thought I should stock some candles.  I went to a super market, could not find them, and thought I should ask a shop assistant, but did not know the Hindi word for it.  I saw a Sardar, approached him and asked him how can I ask for candles from the shop assistant.  He asked me about my origins, he has not met a Sri Lankan, and was happy to be of help.  We exchanged names, he was Lucky Singh.  He was friendly, wanted to say something in Tamil, but I could not figure out what he wanted to say.  I smiled, and he understood that he was not making any sense. He apologized.

He wondered why I will be looking for candles, when rechargeable lamps are available.  He decided that I should get one of them, told me not to buy candles, took me on his Vespa/Bajaj scooter to an electric shop which was about 500 m away, told the shop keeper that I am looking for a rechargeable lamp, got one, I paid.  Then he went on to say that I should invest on an inverter as power cuts are frequent, again, told the shop keeper to install one at my flat, I paid, and I thanked him.  Inverter was installed the following day.  He gave me his phone number and told me that I could call him anytime if I needed help, left.

I did run into him occasionally at the same super market, he will say hello, I will ask about his business, and we part.  Once he was with his wife and introduced her to me.  He was always friendly.

The second Sardar I met was on my way to a bus stop.  It was a freezing morning, and I was on my way to work, and was at the Bus stop.  A three wheeler, stopped, and there was an elderly Sardar.  He asked me where I wanted to go, I told him my destination.  He said it was on his way, and would drop me.  I got in.  He then asked me if I am Dr. Prathapar, and I was flabbergasted!  How could someone know me in Delhi?  I said yes, and asked how could he know my name.  He said he read it from the name tag of my brief case, and smiled.  Pretty clever, wasn't it.  We reached my office and I offered to share the costs, he refused, and he said he was glad that he met me!

I met many more of them when I worked in Punjab, had been to the Golden temple at Amritsar, and had langar (lunch) in a village Gurudwara in Karnal.  All my interactions with them are positive.  Often Sri Lankans are referred as 'Happy-go-lucky jolly good fellows', and I think the Sardars I met too are also 'happy-go-lucky jolly good fellows'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...