Thursday 21 March 2013

Hotel Living - No Good, I think

I travel a lot and stay in hotels.  During the past two months, I have stayed in eight different hotels, for a total of forty nights.  These were in eight different cities in three different continents, but guess what, they are all the same.

They all have nice beds, but it would so happen that I will have to leave the hotel by 7:30 AM, so, I rarely get a chance to sleep in.  Most of them will have four different pillows, each with different levels of softness, but by the time I figure out which is good, the alarm is on and I have to get up, often with a neck pain.  Yep, I did not choose the right pillow.

I rushed to bathroom, get dressed and go for breakfast - which is included in the room tariff - in other words, its free.  I do my best to take advantage of it, albeit, I end up usually harming myself.  If I am in Colombo, I get stuck into hoppers, and string hoppers with all the condiments and curries available, and if I am in South Africa,I treat myself to some delicious sausages and bacon.  In the end I over eat, and of course add kilos to myself.  No good.

Then I dash to work, often sitting through meetings, but occasionally, sitting in a four wheel drive hitting a distant and remote part of the world.  I return in the evening, back at the hotel of course, and the boredom starts.

From 6 PM till I hit the bed, I am lost.  I try to be good, so, I go for a walk, then drink and at eat more than I should, before returning to my room.  As I walk, no one pays attention to me, except if I am in Colombo.  Its the pimps.  Colombo is infested with pimps, they mistake me for Indian tourists, who are their prime clients.  Initially, they bemused me, then irritated me, but now I feel sorry for them.  I wonder what had propelled them to be pimps, and wonder, if they had a choice, would they do it?

Now I am in my room, dead tired, but I am also a email -internet junkie.  So, I get into the virtual world of amusement.  After an hour or so, I am tired, I crawl into my bed and start checking out pillows.

Sometimes, I wish I could enjoy all the luxury a five star hotel gives -lazy mornings, quiet and long breakfasts, walk past busy streets doing window shopping, a light lunch, then a siesta, gym then pool before a drink and a a dinner.  It appears that I am not entitled to them despite my office taking the tab (or is it because my office taking the tab)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...