Wednesday 23 May 2012

Back to Blogger fromAddis

I haven't been blogging, not that I did not have something memorable to write, but was busy, sick or lazy.  Today, I am in Addis Ababa, and I have time (TV in the room is not working).

As we landed, it was around 6 AM, the landscape looked very neatly laid.  Its a hill country, and I did not see any soil conservation measures to check erosion.  But it looked nice.  Moral is just because things looks good, things are not OK.

There is only one word to describe the weather here, beautiful.  The driver said its a bit warm here, he was warning about temperatures reaching mid 20s.

I am staying at the ILRI campus.  This is another sister institute within CGIAR.  I have been to similar campuses of IRRI, CIMMYT and ICRISAT.  They are all good, well  maintained, and a real professional working environment.  IWMI's one is not great, but not bad.  I can only envy the visionaries who have set up such beautiful campuses for the benefit of the poor.

I remember reading that people from the horn of Africa are the most beautiful, and I have to agree with that statement.  They look nice, rarely overweight, dressed neatly, AND, they look beautiful.

I haven't been around today, slept, replied to emails, met some office colleagues.  But I must make use of the weekend to see Addis/Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Reflections from Cemeteries

During the past two weeks, I was at two Cemeteries, one in Colombo, Sri Lanka and the other in Sydney, Australia.  I probably spent about 9...